Maintenance of your Dominator garage door and opener is critical to ensuring its smooth, quiet, reliable operation, and in most cases is necessary to ensure your warranty remains valid.
ZINCALUME AND COLOURED STEEL FINISH DOORS
Your coloured steel door has been pre-painted with a silicone modified polyester formulation, which is one of the best paint films available today. However good a product may be, all exposed surfaces require some attention to guard against corrosion and any other harmful atmospheric effects.
Washing the door with clean water and a cloth every 14 days is recommended. More frequent washing is advised in salty or industrial fallout areas.
REMEMBER, WHEN YOU THINK OF CLEANING YOUR CAR, THINK OF YOUR DOOR.
NOTE: DO NOT WASH THE AUTOMATIC OPENER, IT WILL VOID THE WARRANTY AND COULD CAUSE ELECTROCUTION.
Regular Maintenance Required
Note: If correct maintenance and servicing are not carried out, warranty may be void.
Dominator recommends that you check the operation of your door at least every three to six months (more regularly in extreme environments or frequent use). The effort required to manually open and to manually close the door should be about the same (if door has an automatic opener, put into manual mode before testing door).
Lubrication (every 3-6 months)
- Guide Tracks: (Rolling Doors) Clean the internal sections of the guide tracks with a cloth dampened with mineral turps or methylated spirits. Polish vigorously to achieve a smooth, dirt and moisture resistant surface, allowing the Nylofelt to glide more easily. DO NOT USE GREASE OR OIL ON THE GUIDE TRACKS.
(Sectional Doors) Should be cleaned as per rolling door instructions, but do not required polishing of the internal guide tracks.
- Steel Hinges: (If fitted). Sparingly lubricate with an all purpose machine oil. also lubricate wheel to axle bearings.
- Plastic Hinges: No lubrication is generally required, however silicon spray may be used if necessary.
- Springs: (Where accessible). Wipe over with an oily rag.
- Locks: Your lock does not require special maintenance, however if the key becomes stiff, a spray lubricant such as RP7 is recommended. Do not grease the lock.
- Automatic Openers: If you have an automatic opener fitted to your door it is important that you ensure the optimum operation of your door, otherwise you may reduce the effective life of the opener, and void your opener warranty. For more information refer to the maintenance schedule in your opener's instruction handbook.
- Opener Chain: Lubricate with Chain Lube.
Service and Repair
- Lifting Cables: (If fitted). Check for wear through by rubbing. If there is fraying or signs of corrosion contact your local approved Dominator dealer. These cables are under extreme tension and should never be adjusted, except by fully trained Dominator Dealers.
- Fasteners: Check all screws, nuts and bolts to ensure they are secure.
- Spring Tension: It is natural for springs to lose tension. Should the door become hard to operate or completely inoperative, contact your local Dominator office, or call the Dominator dealer who installed your door.
To keep your door running well, it is recommended that your door be serviced by an experienced technician, every 12 months or earlier if required. Contact your local Dominator Dealer for more advice on servicing.
The spring unit is under tension at all times and should never be adjusted, except by approved, fully trained Dominator dealers. No operator or other person should ever stand directly in the path of the door in its downward travel or walk through doorway while door is moving. Always use the door handle to manually operate the door. If the door is now or later becomes automatically operated, the pull down rope on the door must be removed.
DO NOT PLACE YOUR FINGERS NEAR ANY MOVING PARTS OR BETWEEN THE DOOR PANELS WHEN THE DOOR IS OPERATING EITHER AUTOMATICALLY OR MANUALLY.
Cedar Garage Doors WoodOil Application Instructions
WoodOil is pre-applied to our garage doors unless otherwise requested.
This precoat is done using WoodOil clear for protection during transportation, installation and new site development; the door should then be cleaned if necessary and coated with a second application on completion of site activity in clear or Colourtone depending upon desired results.
The use of WoodOil on Dominator Cedar Garage Doors protects and seals the timbers from environmental debris. It will not crack or peel from the surface. It will not let water ingress into the timber, thus reducing watermarks and keeping the moisture content in the timbers low reducing the weight load on the motor and door frame.
Re-application of Dryden's WoodOil is recommended at up to two years after the second coat to the areas where the surface exhibits signs of losing the capability to "bead water" or Colourtone has faded - Click here for more information.
It is important to note that your opener warranty can be voided if you fail to maintain both your opener and your door. If you have an automatic opener fitted to your door it is important that you ensure the optimum operation of your door. Otherwise you may reduce the effective life of the opener.